Monday 19 August 2013

confessions of a travel agent

No, I'm not going to get too controversial here (I value my employment)... But here are some things that run through my mind during a typical work day, and some nasty habits I have developed.

1. WHERE THE HELL DO I START???
Every morning I walk in and can't figure out where to start. I'm usually completely overwhelmed. I constantly work to improve my time management and be more efficient, but things just keep getting added to the pile...

2. I TALK TO MYSELF IN THE MIRROR!
Ummm... What? Yep, I do. In the morning, I repeat little mantras like "Amelia, you are good at your job" and "no-one's dead or in a Polish prison" (both of these things have happened before) and during the day sometimes I take five to sit in the bathroom and say "Amelia, you're half way through the day, good work" or "you know, you could try looking at the problem this way..."

3. I DREAM ABOUT MY CLIENTS
Yes hello, did I just book your holiday? Well, I probably had dreams about doing so. Not the fun kind, more like the kind where you wake up at 3am freaking out about some minor detail.

4. I HATE BOOKING FRIENDS AND FAMILY.
I just can't handle the pressure. What if I screw it up? (Very unlikely, might I add) 

5. I SEE MOST OF MY CLIENTS AS MATES
I hate it when clients don't want to tell me about their holiday when they get back. It makes me sad. I care about all of my clients and I want to know they had the best time, or failing that, I want feedback. I love having a laugh with my clients and I want them to know I have their back. I know I shouldn't, but I take each individual file pretty personally.

6. I'M PRONE TO THE OCCASIONAL STRESS VOM.
A complete overshare, sorry. Sometimes though a really stressful situation must resolve itself...

7. I'M INSANELY JEALOUS OF ALL MY CLIENTS.
Don't tell me you wouldn't be if you had my job. You would be about as frustrated as I am. The worst one? I have clients about to do the same trip I'm doing for my honeymoon. I literally booked my honeymoon for them. Ummm yeah, I'm jealous of them because they are about to leave and I have to wait months. 

8. SOMETIMES I SAY I DON'T LIKE MY JOB, UNTIL SOMEONE POINTS OUT I HAVEN'T QUIT YET AND I REALISE I LOVE IT.
Speaks for itself really.



No comments:

Post a Comment